Total Pageviews

Thursday, June 10, 2010

The "Morne van der Merwe" test

Woke up this morning after maybe one hour of sleep because of a tiny beautiful baby with a stuffy nose. I had the usual negotiations with Nick about who’s turn it is for morning duty. Any couple who has kids (especially three of them aged 0 to 6)will be able to relate to these "negotiations". I say “I had Jasmine,” he says “I had the other two” and on we go... exhaustion is making me feel feverish and I’ve got pins and needles in my brain (have you ever felt that?).

A few days ago I had this incredible fear about the fact that I don’t feel close enough to God and I have become less and less Christ-like, so I’m trying my best to adjust where I need to adjust and change in all the areas that don’t reflect Jesus, but this morning all I wanted to do was throw my not-strong-enough coffee at somebody in the near vicinity (no names mentioned). So all my good intentions went out the window... Anyway, we both got up. I had a shower in the dark because the bulb had blown and I had time to think about what I call the “Morne van der Merwe” test.

When they installed the swings at Joshgen (our church), they had to test whether they were strong enough for little kids to swing on without breaking, so they needed some sort of ‘stress test’ for the swings. Apparently they called in Morne van der Merwe (an ex-Stormers rugby player) to sit on the swings and see if they will break under that weight. The rationale was rather test the swings under the heaviest weight possible before entrusting them to hold our precious children.

Sometimes it feels a bit like Morne is sitting on the swings, hey? I like to think they need to be tested for some important reason. The frame eeks and squeaks under the strain but it hasn’t broken yet (touch wood). Maybe when it has been sufficiently tested and proven strong enough, Morne will get off and then we can fulfil the task we need to with confidence that the swings have been tested and won’t break. At least, that’s what I’m going with today. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment